[ View Thread ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Subguns.com NFA Firearms Discussion Board

Yeah.... the start....

Posted By: Dan Shea
Date: 7/7/20 02:42

In Response To: a testimonial. it all started with a red ryder bb (defilade)

I really enjoy hearing what got people started and finding the parallels. HCM, you out there?

Watching Sgt Saunders in Combat on TV and getting fired up about Thompsons and BARs, dude must have gotten wounded 50 times ... shot on a rifle team... hunted... 10 years old saw my first Thompson, friend's Dad had one he brought back... at 12 years old shot one another Dad had brought back, one 3 round burst, all he gave me. I couldn't control it. I still do that with new people who've never fired an SMG. I could barely hold it. Had lots of $25 nut guns, baby Brownings, Spanish 32s, that kind of stuff, hitchhiking when I was 15, couple of guys had a Sixteen they smuggled back from Nam and we fired it in sand pits... driving across PA on I76, pulling into the road crew sand pits and ripping a mag. I was hooked.

When I got out of My Beloved Army, I found out I could actually own my own Beloved M16A1 rifle. I had an FFL, spoke with J. Curtis, he was.... Abrupt... so I just paid my SOT of $200 and got my own Class 3 setup... M16A1, then Mac-10, then.... I met Thompsons... then I met beltfeds and that was it... had to have my own Beloved M60... started going to KCR in 83... was dealing but small time before that mostly with another forgotten Cl 3 guy in NH who was 1950s-70s, would go set up in a GP Medium tent, Lomont, Landies, J&T, Ciener, Neal Smith and others all had our own tents.... Caveman and I bought the tents to start North Country Shoot when Kenny built the first pole barn. Must have been... 1988? maybe Summer of 1989....

It's been a lifetime of weapons, all over the world, and the only regrets on it are the things I sold. Wish I could have kept them all. So, that would be more than 50 years from when I started in with shooting my first MG. I've turned a LOT of people on to MGs and suppressors, used to buy SWD M11 9mm by the pallet sell them for about $200 and after the buyers hosed the targets a few times, they'd be back for bigger, better, more controllable guns... kind of like "The first taste is cheap" Met so many great people! The Internet drastically changed the community, not in a bad way, it was just "Different."

Kent and I used to joke about "Dude, how much longer can we do this?" and later how in the old days $100k would fill a van with transferable MGS, then it was one rifle case...

Phoenix Defence

Messages In This Thread

[ View Thread ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Subguns.com NFA Firearms Discussion Board is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.12.

RSS feed for Subguns.com NFA Firearms Discussion Board

THIS SHOULD BE HIDDEN TEXT