[ View Thread ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Subguns.com NFA Firearms Discussion Board

MY RESPONSE

Posted By: Frank
Date: 7/7/20 02:42

In Response To: hi frank. over the years i have gotten a lot of (defilade)

Thanks for all your input. I value each of your contributions to the board. Nothing in this thread was deleted because nothing crossed the common sense rule of courtesy most people are mature enough to understand. The rules of the boards can just about be summed up by “Don’t be an asshole”. To be honest the group who is using the boards now is pretty good in that respect, I have been enjoying the quality content which was previously less prominent.

Before I reiterate what we are working on, let me remind you why we are here.

Subguns was costing a fortune to host, to the tune of several thousand dollars each year. Our development team had been telling us for months we were waisting a fortune and could host for 20 dollars a month if we changed servers. We understood there would be work needed to migrate due to the enormous amount of data comprised primarily of the archives for 20 years so, or so we thought. I was under the impression once set up the migration could be done almost instantly and furthermore was not told when it was actually to take place. In trying to move Subguns to the new server all kinds of red flags went up and the new server would not accept. It is then we discovered that due to old code and lack of security associated with that old code as well as very weak ie non existent security associated with the user gateway, Subguns had been hacked by multiple parties who were able to set up data bases for nefariousness content of all sorts. I am relaying this as well as I understand it btw so forgive me if I come off as a caveman here. Basically it took 3 weeks to clean up the friggen mess so either server would take it. The patch job was a moving target the story started out “we will have it up tomorrow” and it was pretty well that way until indeed it finally was up on one of the “tomorrows” The developers just kept discovering more issues which were not previously apparent. I was very strongly encouraged to implement a sign in to prevent this disaster from happening again. Guys this clean up operation cost thousands and caused a major slow down on our other development. For a site which generates no income of any kind, I can guarantee you I am not in any way interested in taking a risk of repeating this experience. Personally I consider myself the stewart of what has been a good thing for the NFA community for many years. I’m disappointed about what happened and more disappointed that in reality most of the people who contributed to Subguns for so many years, turned the other way when bothered by a sign in, and that is pretty well what it boils down too. Yes the same people have Facebook accounts and multiple other accounts where they have to sign in. They would be fools to think they can post anything anywhere sign in or not and actually truly be anonymous.

So, there are some glitches here with the board as you have noticed. It works but I know sometimes threads have gotten jumbled and the board access requires multiple annoying clicks at times. The truth is we really can’t support this old code. My developers didn’t write it and that presents a difficulty. We will be implementing a new board with drastically reduced sign in frequency requirements and run this one in tandem for a while. This means both formats available and less hassle, maybe read without sign in, sign in less often and no annoying glitches with the new board. The new board will be modern with more capability and no ads at least for the foreseeable future.

As for the way I do business... My wife and I started out with nothing. When we got married in 1991 we got 300 dollars in cash as wedding gifts and miscellaneous household items. That was a big haul for us and we were thrilled. Our rent was 235 dollars a month and we were not sure we could make it. Various job changes happened and we eventually started a landscaping company here in Joplin. We were successful and worked hard as you would expect. We never got rich landscaping as you would also expect, but we thought we were doing great. There was no real way to make it in that business other than work hard and be honest that pretty well sums it up. The class 3 business was started as a hobby which to be legal as u know had to be a money making enterprise. I started with an ac556 but couldn’t afford anything more just one gun. I built fairly simple silencers with monolithic hand machined baffles for MK2 pistols and 10/22s and marketed those right here on Subguns. I never made much money making silencers but I met a lot of people who are still friends and some are still leaders in our industry. I sold the AC for a profit, and bought two macs as I recall, which were also soon sold for a profit. Many of the guns moving through my very small inventory in those early days were bought and or sold on Subguns. Guys you don’t become successful in many businesses besides maybe law and politics without being honest. My goal is always to treat people as I would want to be treated. There have been days that philosophy has cost me money and times I didn’t agree with the other persons perspective but let it cost me anyway. I sleep really well at night.

I appreciate all you guys and enjoy the quality here these days. Stay tuned, shouldn’t be a lot longer on the updates.

Messages In This Thread

[ View Thread ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Subguns.com NFA Firearms Discussion Board is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.12.

RSS feed for Subguns.com NFA Firearms Discussion Board

THIS SHOULD BE HIDDEN TEXT