[ View Thread ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Subguns.com NFA Firearms Discussion Board

I have to register in to most sites I care about

Posted By: Dan Shea
Date: 7/7/20 02:42

In Response To: Hey-I agree-but a lot of people don't like the (Toad)

Frank said he had to do more security due to outside damage, and to me the side benefit is the personal responsibility of posters.

I've mentioned before that I went through several periods of "Anonymous" asswipes attacking me and my companies over the last 20 years. Clowns with 40+ gmail etc addresses who had personal vendettas- one guy was a writer I fired for taking a $2000 item from a manufacture, writing a total puff piece and promising the manufacturer our editorial space. Big mess. Anyway, he had it out for me for 10 years, and blanketed websites with lots of lies, answering himself and having long conversations full of innuendo and BS... I finally nailed him down.

I've seen newbie manufacturers spend 24/7 attacking longtime manufacturers from countless email addresses, to damage the oldtimers and present themselves as "Fantastic, friendly, best buy" etc....

if you have to sign in, that BS goes away or at least you can confront your accuser face to face.

But, it's the emotional waste that comes from dealing with ass-clowns like him. I explained to Tom early on that while he thought this was an experiment in Free Speech, it was really the wild west which had to come into line with the constraints of civilization, libel and slander laws, and I can't put "Letters to the Editor" in Small Arms Review that are lies and damaging to people or companies and say "Well that's his opinion not my fault," without facing court, and the Internet eventually has to have this as well- and there have been some solid court cases where board operators had their asses handed to them and most settled quickly out of court.

The fact is, we're much more polite when we're known and don't hide in the shadows and snipe. The reason I'm willing to come on here and share, is because everyone on here is known. I was taught that if it's worth saying, it's worth putting your name on it. If I'm going to confront someone, it's private. If I think it's worth calling BS on someone, I'll put my name on it. It's usually NOT worth doing things like that.

The idea of these boards is a community where you can share knowledge and sometimes friendship, at least some camaraderie, with others of common interest. It's to all of our benefit to have this an environment where we're adult with our comments. I know there are quite a few RKIs that are waiting for me to say that it's a more genteel place where knowledgeable people can share without some cretin trying to destroy their reputation. Hopefully they come in.

A bit of sniping, an occasional flamewar, that's all just the Internet, doesn't bother me.... what bothers me is hidden agendas and cowardly pieces of shit attacking others. I won't participate, and neither will many others, just won't waste their time.

I'm pretty sure many of the old timers will come back on here. I hope Bubba does, for one.

Messages In This Thread

[ View Thread ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Subguns.com NFA Firearms Discussion Board is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.12.

RSS feed for Subguns.com NFA Firearms Discussion Board

THIS SHOULD BE HIDDEN TEXT