[ View Thread ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Subguns.com NFA Firearms Discussion Board

Easier now with personal responsibility....

Posted By: Dan Shea
Date: 7/7/20 02:42

In Response To: This is why we love having you on the board (Frank)

When Tom started this board, late 1997 as I remember, Vida Ford's MGN board had just collapsed. She started the MGN board in 1996, I was on it sporadically, it was the first gun board on the WWW (The basic Internet we had rec.guns) I always posted under my name or "MaximGun" or "Raffica" but everyone knew who I was. It was a great community, people helping each other and talking, then in the 2000s for about 4 years it was the wild west, and Tom's "Experiment in Free Speech" failed miserably and he admitted it to me with an apology... and he started tossing trolls and clowns.

From memory it was MGN, then Subguns, then Vollmer's, then Sturm (Bigger Hammer) and finally M60joe, AR15.com, and in the mid-2000s all the gender specific gun boards were up- 1919A4, ak47.net etc.. so historically, Subguns, which took over from MGN, is really the first firearms discussion board in history. You old-timers help me out on that so the newer guys know the real history, please.

ATF cleaned quite a few bozos out, guys who were felons bragging about their guns, others who bragged about their unregistered stuff, online, in front of everyone. When you're posting online, you're not sitting in your neighborhood bar with some buddies, there are people with other agendas watching everything you do and write. I was shocked at the "If I had a DIAS wink wink, just do this.." actually writing "Wink Wink" in the text... I think it was about every 12-18 months some people would disappear from the boards and if you looked hard enough, you'd find the sentencing where a search warrant was issued based on the online bragging, illegal guns found, arrest made, trial held and Adios MF. I remember one guy who was a felon in possession of unregistered, bragged, got arrested, and then showed back up on the board after he got out!

I had one ass-hat who had 40 different email addresses where he would have convoluted hate discussions about me and my company (I got him nailed in court, he had a plan to blackmail me for my gun collection, I got his emails with his cronies from another swindle case I knew they were involved in and when they were deposed we ambushed them) I finally nailed his ass because on Sturm, he didn't realize his IP was on all posts, so we put the screws to him.

And, of course the ass-pope, coming on here with his little band of cronies and making all kinds of wild accusations, supporting each other's threads, just poison... it turns out their whole plan was to steal SAR, blackmail me for my gun collection, and it was all in their emails. I nailed them down too, in court. They spent half a mil on the attempt, I still have the settlement apology/confession letter about what they did, and the right to post it publicly if I need to. What a bunch of scumbags are out there, hiding among the good people... no accountability is an invitation to them, to spring their schemes.

Why am I bringing this up? The side effect of what you just had to do to protect the board from hacking, also makes people accountable for what they say. You're going to lose some who just like to shit on others because, well cowardice is rampant on the Internet, small loss. There were a lot of RKIs who wouldn't post anywhere including here, because of the assaults that would happen anonymously. It's easy for cowards to hide if there is no accountability, and I'm much more willing to participate, hand down knowledge if I have it, if I know that anyone who's shit-stirring or attacking me, will be a known entity. Getting teased or corrected is one thing, having anonymous haters posting stupid shit, well, that's a true waste of time. My attitude was "Why bother posting if dirtballs can just sit there and sling shit."

I'm going to see what other old-timers might want to come on here now that it's a level place to share. I hope Bubba Naess comes on, I haven't seen him, he was always a great addition. Helpful guy with massive knowledge...

We're dying off at a terrible rate. The knowledge is going away. SAR and SADJ and some of the Internet sites are preserving but there is so much lore and experience being lost... it makes sense to WANT the experienced people to pass it on, answer questions, etc. and, those people don't walk into an environment where bozos can snipe and lie about them.

SO, signing in might be a bit of a pain and deterrent for some, but it's a much more attractive situation to guys like me. I guess we'll see how this 23 year old grand-daddy of the gun boards moves into this next phase. Now that I've gotten on, when I'm CONUS I'll check in and post... can't access OCONUS. Tom did ID that a lot of hassles were coming from overseas IPs so overseas is blocked.

Thanks Frank, this is looking better and better.

Small Arms Review

Messages In This Thread

[ View Thread ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Subguns.com NFA Firearms Discussion Board is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.12.

RSS feed for Subguns.com NFA Firearms Discussion Board

THIS SHOULD BE HIDDEN TEXT