[ View Thread ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Subguns.com NFA Firearms Discussion Board

Some shotgun sighting basics....

Posted By: BIO
Date: 7/7/20 02:42

In Response To: SBS shooting very high (papa20eyes)

Most people believe shotguns have only one sight - the front bead.

That's not true.

Your eyeball is the rear sight.

Any adjustments for sighting thus have to be done one of two ways.

With a front bead, minute changes can be made with bead size. To get any larger changes the bead would have to be elevated on a base. This will lower the point of impact.

Beads directly on the barrel (or rib) cannot be lowered any further, so the point of impact cannot be raised; that has to be done at the rear.

Shifting your eye up and down has the largest change. It works exactly as a rear sight would. Rear sights have a base. Your eye's base is your cheek on the stock, and the stock comb is raised or dropped to change your eye alignment.

To lower the point of impact, you will need to lower your eye. If your stock is wood, you can shave down the top of the stock.

How much? This calculator is designed for handguns, but it should work for a SBS. It shows the change in height for the front sight, but it should work to show how much the rear sight (stock comb) should be lowered.

https://dawsonprecision.com/sight-calculator/

Now, I took your figures in your post literally for this. If they were not factual the results will be off.

Here are the entry fields:

(2) Front sight height. Use the center or top of the current bead. I used top of a 3/16" bead, which is .1875".

(3) Sight radius - This will be your bead to your eye. The slider maxes out at 16" but you can manually enter whatever you want. I went with 24". You can measure and adjust from there.

(4) Impact distance. If you're aiming at the crotch and hitting the chest, that's going to be about 16".

(5) Distance to target. You said 10 to 15 yards. I tried 12 yards, which is 432 inches.

The calculator shows 1.188" change at your eye. Remember, this was supposed to be the FRONT sight change, so when we use it for the rear sight (eye) it will be a NEGATIVE number, or -1.188".

So basically your eye has to drop at least an inch. Problem is how much can your eye drop without going behind the rear receiver? If you can drop the height of the comb that much and be just above the receiver, great. More than likely, it ain't gunna work.

This also shows there is absolutely no way a larger bead will fix anything.

So yeah, a receiver sight will likely be your best bet. A Williams WGOS style peep on a ramp might work well. You'll need to get a front blade of some sort installed. Likely a gunsmith is going to have to silver solder a front sight base on. If you're going that far, see if a front and rear sight base from a Rem 870 20ga can be added. Why? Because the blades can be replaced with Trijicon RE-01 tritium 3-dot night sights. (I have that setup on my 1187.)

I'm assuming you have a round barrel. If there is a ribbed base there are some other options.

Messages In This Thread

[ View Thread ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Subguns.com NFA Firearms Discussion Board is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.12.

RSS feed for Subguns.com NFA Firearms Discussion Board

THIS SHOULD BE HIDDEN TEXT